Get out into nature RVing with this delicious campfire recipe!
Post Sponsored by GoRVing.com
Adventure is my middle name...
Getting out into nature and enjoying cooking in the great outdoors is how I want to live. One of the best ways to do that is by RVing!
I am so excited to announce that I am teaming up with GoRVing.com to show how easy it is to cook delicious meals around a campfire while you are exploring nature. Whether you are in a different state or a different country, RVing doesn’t have to limit the flavor of the food that you eat. Everything I will cook will be simple, easy and delicious. So to kick it all off, I have decided to cook some Campfire Surf & Surf.
The old Surf & Turf is a classic grilling recipe. But for all you seafood lovers out there, why not substitute the heartiness of the steak with a thick piece of salmon? Top that off with some skewered shrimp and veggies. Now you are talkin’ my language!
In my Campfire Surf & Surf recipe, you will first grill up a massive chunk of wild caught salmon over the fire. Seasoned with parsley, garlic, cayenne powder and more to make sure you have a savory and tangy fish. The same seasoning will go on the shrimp as well! This will balance the flavor of the food with the same seasoning on two very different seafoods. The tenderness of the salmon really compliments the robust flavor of the shrimp to make sure you get that variety that you are looking for in a combo dish like this. Lastly, you will add some charred veggies cooked on a skillet/plancha over the fire. These veggies round out the whole meal with their salty and charred flavor.
My favorite part about this dish is how easy it is to cook.
All the ingredients you can find on the road at any local grocery! Plus, they do not take up a lot of space in your RV while still giving you delicious food. Stay tuned for more recipes to come while I cook over fire in an RV!
Want the perfect fire cooking equipment?
Yields: 2-4 Servings
Cook: 30 minutes
Prep: 15 minutes
Equipment Needed: Fire pit, wooden skewers, cast iron skillet/plancha, tongs, wood, and fire starters.
Campfire Surf & Surf Ingredients
- 1 whole salmon (un-filleted)
- 1 lb of shrimp (no shell & de-veined)
- 2 zucchini (diced)
- 2 yellow squash (diced)
- 1/2 white onion (cut into half moons)
- 1 tbsp of dried parsley
- 1 tbsp of minced garlic
- 2 tsp of cayenne powder
- Sea salt & black pepper (to taste)
- Olive oil
- Using a fire starter, build your fire and let burn until it coals (about 15-20 minutes).
- While the fire is burning, skewer the shrimp & lather both the shrimp and salmon with olive oil on all sides. Season both shrimp & salmon with dried parsley, minced garlic, cayenne powder, sea salt & black pepper.
- Once fire is hot, season skillet/plancha with olive oil and start cooking zucchini, yellow squash and onions. Let cook until nicely charred & soft (about 10 minutes).
- While veggies are cooking, place salmon on grill skin side down. Let cook for 8 minutes per side. Cook until internal temp reads 145F. PS: You can also smoke the salmon if you prefer!
- Lastly, place skewered shrimp on grill and let cook for 2 minutes per side until done.
- Pull everything off grill and serve immediately!