A Little Flare of the Southwest
Post Sponsored by Cowboy Charcoal
If you have ever been to the Southwest, then you know that green chilies are a sacred ingredient. These delicious peppers are both tangy and spicy, and can add a lot of flavor to what you are cooking on the grill.
The Cast Iron Green Chile Chicken recipe will combine the zesty flavor of the southwest with a simple dish like cast iron chicken. Cook it over some Cowboy Charcoal and you are in for a treat! And if you are feeling like more cast iron cooking then check out my Lemon Garlic Salmon!
Yields: 2-4 Servings
Cook: 45 minutes
Prep: 10 minutes
Green Chile Sauce Ingredients
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 2 tbsp of white flour
- 1 1/2 cups chicken stock
- 2/3 cup finely chopped white onion
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- Dash of ground cumin
- 1 cup of chopped green chile peppers
- 1 full breasted chicken
- 1/4 stick of butter
- 1/4 tsp of oregano
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 tsp of chili powder
- In a skillet add olive oil, and roast the garlic and onions until tender.
- Stir in flour, cumin, salt and pepper and let cook for 1 minute.
- Add chicken stock and let simmer for 2 minutes.
- Add green chiles and let simmer for another 2-3 minutes.
- Pull Green Chile Sauce off and let cool for 30 minutes.
- While letting the Green Chile Sauce cool, pull out chicken and season evenly with oregano, salt, pepper and chili powder.
- Light the Cowboy Hardwood Lump Charcoal in a charcoal chimney or mound inside your grill and let burn for 10-15 minutes. (Optional) Add 3-4 small pieces of hickory wood to the top of the charcoal for added flavor!
- Place cast iron skillet over fire at least 5-10 minutes before cooking!
- Once fire is medium heat, add chicken to cast iron skillet and let roast for 9 minutes per side.
- Add Green Chile Sauce on top of chicken and let simmer in sauce for 2-3 minutes. Stir and baste chicken with sauce while cooking.
- Serve and enjoy!
Want to find the right cast iron? Check out my recommended skillets!
This article does contain affiliate links to products that we personally use and support. Purchasing an affiliate product does make us a small commission at no cost to you. This helps us continue creating for our website. All words and opinions are our own, and we appreciate your support!